Sultan Ahmet Mosque – Blue Mosque
The Sultan Ahmed Mosque is usually a historical mosque in Istanbul, the most important city in Turkey plus the capital of the Ottoman Empire (from 1453 to 1922). The mosque is popularly called the Blue Mosque for that blue tiles adorning the walls of their interior.
It was built from 1609 to 1616, over the rule of Ahmed I. Like several mosques, in addition , it comprises a tomb on the founder, a madrasah plus a hospice. While still used like a mosque, the Sultan Ahmed Mosque has additionally turned into a popular tourist attraction.
The style with the Sultan Ahmed Mosque is the culmination of two centuries of both Ottoman mosque and Byzantine church development. It incorporates some Byzantine factors of the neighboring Hagia Sophia with traditional Islamic architecture and is particularly considered to be the very last great mosque on the classical period. The architect has ably synthesized the ideas of his master Sinan, targeting overwhelming size, majesty and splendour.It has 6 minarates as well as 8 domes and 1 main one.
The façade of the spacious forecourt was inbuilt exactly the same manner because façade with the Süleymaniye Mosque, with the exception of the addition of the turrets for the corner domes. A legal court is all about as large because mosque itself which is flanked by a consistent vaulted arcade (revak). It has ablution facilities on both sides. The central hexagonal fountain is quite small in comparison while using dimensions from the courtyard. The monumental but narrow gateway towards courtyard sticks out architecturally through the arcade. Its semi-dome includes a fine stalactite structure, crowned with a small ribbed dome over a tall tholobate.
A heavy iron chain hangs inside upper the main court entrance about the western side. Only the sultan was allowed to type in the court of the mosque on horseback. The chain was put there, so the sultan were required to lower his head each and every time he entered the judge in order not to obtain hit. This was done as being a symbolic gesture, to be sure the humility of the ruler in the face of the divine.
The six minarets were a matter of contention as well as a first, since four minarets were more common maximum. Only after one more minaret was combined with the Masjid al-Haram, Grand Mosque, in Mecca was the six minarets issue settled.
At its lower levels at every pier, the within from the mosque is lined exceeding 20,000 handmade ceramic tiles, made at Iznik (the ancient Nicaea) in more than fifty different tulip designs. The tiles at lower levels are traditional in design, while at gallery level their design becomes flamboyant with representations of flowers, fruit and cypresses. Greater than 20,000 tiles were made underneath the supervision with the Iznik master potter Kasap Haci and Baris Efendi from Avanos (Cappadocia). The price to be covered each tile was fixed with the sultan’s decree, while tile prices on the whole increased with time. Consequently, the quality of the tiles used in the structure decreased gradually. Their colours have faded and changed (red turning into brown and green into blue, mottled whites) and also the glazes have dulled. The tiles for the back balcony wall are recycled tiles in the harem in the Topkapı Palace, when it had been damaged by fire in 1574.
The upper levels of the interior are dominated by blue paint. İn excess of 200 stained glass windows with intricate designs admit sun light, today assisted by chandeliers. On the chandeliers, ostrich eggs are located that were supposed to avoid cobwebs inside mosque by repelling spiders. The decorations include verses on the Qur’an, many of them expressed by Seyyid Kasim Gubari, regarded as the greatest calligrapher of his time. The floors are covered with carpets, that are donated by faithful people and are regularly replaced since they wear out. A variety of spacious windows confer a spacious impression. The casements at floor level are decorated with opus sectile. Each exedra has five windows, most of which are blind. Each semi-dome has 14 windows plus the central dome 28 (four which are blind). The coloured glass to the windows became a gift of the Signoria of Venice towards the sultan. A large number of coloured windows have at this point been replaced by modern versions with minimal artistic merit.
The most important take into account the within with the mosque would be the mihrab, which is manufactured from finely carved and sculptured marble, with a stalactite niche as well as a double inscriptive panel above it. The adjacent walls are sheathed in ceramic tiles. Though the many windows around it allow it to be look less spectacular. Right of the mihrab may be the richly decorated minber, or pulpit, in which the Imam stands when he is delivering his sermon in the time noon prayer on Fridays or on holy days. The mosque may be designed so that even when it can be at its most crowded, everyone in the mosque could see and hear the Imam.
The royal kiosk is found with the south-east corner. It comprises a platform, a loggia and two small retiring rooms. It gives entry to the royal loge to the south-east upper gallery with the mosque. These retiring rooms became the headquarters of the Grand Vizier through the suppression with the rebellious Janissary Corps in 1826. The royal loge (hünkâr mahfil) is held by ten marble columns. It possesses its own mihrab, that used to be decorated with a jade rose and gilt then one hundred Qurans on inlaid and gilded lecterns.
The many lamps inside the mosque were once engrossed in gold and gems. One of many glass bowls you possibly can find ostrich eggs and crystal balls. Each one of these decorations are already removed or pillaged for museums.
The great tablets within the walls are inscribed using the names with the caliphs and verses through the Quran, originally by the great 17th-century calligrapher Ametli Kasım Gubarım, they have frequently been restored.